03 March, 2007

A little from Bombay

A little from Bethan...
The last few days have been spent in Mumbai, a city which has completely suprised me in all sorts of ways. It is cited as the most Westernised city in India. There is definitely Western influence here, and wondering through the city looking up to the balconied buildings, it is possible to imagine that you are in London. A distorted London however, one that has crumbled, one that the paint has chipped away from.
It may seem Westernised, but if it is, it is an Indian take on the West, which is not the same thing at all. I love it.
My sisters have gone on ahead to Varanasi, where I will join them in a few days. They have the camera, so I can only add a photo link to give you all some impressions of the city.

1 comment:

Mel said...

A woman told us , on the radio, that India is experiencing a shortage of onions, and the price has shot up in the markets over the last few weeks. Are you noticing this, I wonder? Are there onion magnates in Mumbai, or is there a run on shallots in Varanassi? Continue to enjoy your travels and experiences, and the wider world-view that they can bring. xxxx Daddy/